Under the Marie Curie Initial Training Network (ITN) WALL, I worked on the project "Analytical modelling of magnetic domain wall dynamics" at the Collective Phenomena in Physics & Materials Science group at ISI Foundation.
In parallel, I completed a PhD in Physics at the Politecnico di Torino.
About the Project
ITN-WALL was created to study magnetic domain walls (DWs), the interfaces separating magnetic domains. Manipulation of these in in nanostructures may lead to the next generation of new and low power functional devices for computation and communication. The project had 7 main partners and 12 associate partners from Italy, Germany, France, the UK, Belgium, Spain and Switzerland.
My role was to use model reduction to come up with simplified models to describe the dynamics of magnetic domain walls. I extended the collective coordinate approach based on a Lagrangian-formulation to include phenomena important in domain wall motion in perpendicular magnetic anisotropy heterostructures with the Dzyaloshinskii-Moriya interaction under the application of in-plane fields, out of plane magnetic fields, and currents. I also used micromagnetic simulations to perform more detailed studies on these systems.
As part of this project, I also collaborated on other projects including:
- Collaboration with Ghent University on the development and comparison of a semi-analytical collective coordinate model derived from statistical methods
- A one month research stay at the University of Salamanca to study domain wall motion under in-plane fields, and the effect of local anisotropy variation on domain wall motion
- A one month research stay at University of Paris Sud-Paris Saclay CNRS (cut short due to flooding in Paris)
- A two week stay at IBM Research Zurich where I studied the structure of anomalous domain walls, and performed micromagnetic studies on magnetic tunnel junctions
- Regular visits to the National Metrological Institute of Italy (INRiM)
Bx = By = 0
Bx = -225 mT
Bx = 225 mT
By = -100 mT
Bx = 100 mT
- Development of extended collective coordinate models for the analysis of magnetic domain wall motion under magnetic fields and currents
- Contribution to the study of creep phenomena in magnetic systems through numerical simulations in Mumax3
- Publication of 6 peer reviewed papers and presentation of 13 talks and 15 posters at international conferences
- Organization of the Second Marie Curie School on Domain Walls and Spintronics held in Spetses, Greece.
Collective coordinates used to model the domain wall.
- S. A. Nasseri, E. Martinez G. Durin “Collective Coordinate Descriptions of Magnetic Domain Wall Motion in Perpendicularly Magnetized Nanostructures under the Application of In-plane Fields”, Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, vol. 568, pp. 25-43, 2018, doi: 10.1016/j.jmmm.2018.07.059.
- B. Sarma, F. Garcia-Sanchez, S. A. Nasseri, A. Casiraghi, G. Durin, "Dynamics and morphology of chiral magnetic bubbles in perpendicularly magnetized ultra-thin films with the Dzyaloshinskii-Moriya Interaction", Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, vol. 456, pp. 433-438, 2018, doi: 10.1016/j.jmmm.2018.01.075.
- J. Vandermeulen, S. A Nasseri, B. Van de Wiele, G. Durin, B. Van Waeyenberge, and L. Dupre, “Comparison between collective coordinate models for domain wall motion in PMA nanostrips in the presence of the Dzyaloshinskii-Moriya interaction”, Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, vol. 449, pp. 337-352, 2018, doi: 10.1016/j.jmmm.2017.10.008. [Joint First Author]
- S. A. Nasseri, S. Moretti, E. Martinez, G. Durin, C. Serpico, “Collective Coordinate Models of Domain Wall Dynamics in PMA Materials under Spin Hall Effect and Longitudinal in-Plane Fields”, Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, vol. 426, pp. 195-201 , 2017, doi: 10.1016/j.jmmm.2016.11.081.
- J. Vandermeulen, S. A. Nasseri, B. Van de Wiele, G. Durin, B. Van Waeyenberge and L. Dupre, “The effect of the Dzyaloshinskii-Moriya interaction on field-driven domain wall dynamics analysed by a semi-analytical approach”, Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, vol. 49 (46), no. 465003, 2016, doi:10.1088/0022-3727/49/46/465003.
- S. A. Nasseri, B. Sarma, G. Durin, C. Serpico, “Analytical Modeling of Magnetic Domain Wall Motion under Applied Fields and Currents”, 20th International Conference in Magnetism, Barcelona, July 2015 (Published in physics procedia, vol. 75, pp. 974-985), doi: 10.1016/j.phpro.2015.12.133.